Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Things That Were Lost In Our Vaginas BY NYACHIRO LYDIA,

#BNPA2014 SHORTLISTED POEMS:#BABBLINGBABISHAI

Aleya Kassam starts off the discussion on Things That Were Lost In Our vaginas BY NYACHIRO LYDIA, TANZANIA

This poem was deeply affecting. It took me a while to figure out why this poem crawled into the pit of my belly and would not come out. The way she writes about something so horrendous as a child being abused, in an almost matter of fact way is where the power of the poem lies. The language echoes this sense of numbness she has had to develop to keep living through something so horrendous....the matter-of-factness that this is just what a girl, a girl! goes through, and that is just the way it is...it makes me feel, as a society we are complicit - and of course, aren't we? Yet the poem has a movement and texture that makes it beautiful, when it almost shouldn't be.

Flavia Kabuye

When I first read the poem, I thought it was so graphic. When I read it again and again I realized that much as it breaks communication barriers, it also highlights structural barriers of age and gender. Women's stories like this one are endless and the writer brings out the emotional trauma that even time cannot heal. Her reference to prayer brings a message of hope...

Stephanie Newham

I want to say this is a beautiful poem but it is difficult ,because of the subject matter. However we have to be thankful that there are poets and writers who are prepared to write openly and honestly from their hearts about societies darker side.

Ivan Okuda ," It-is an epic poem, shortlisted for this years Babishai Niwe Poetry Awards, written by Tanzania's Nyachiro Kasese. If it doesn’t tickle your inner most senses, then nothing ever will.

Arafat Ndugga hehehe..respect..people can write.

Wilbrod Gos'pol Lydia I bow in contentment

Mugume Fortune

Stylistic device...vivid description...lol

Henry Mutebe

eh... that's a magnificent display of the language. The subject matter notwithstanding, I credit her for her skill in creating imagery. Its powerfully crafted. four star

Jamie Sanyu Mukama

this is so rich

Mukungu Blessed Dennis

well I’m looking for words to describe this literal artistry

Herbert Kaheeru

vagina monologue

Rosey Sembatya

I was sucked in by the title, the dare...yet the poem is so afraid...the fear within us..

Agatha Ayebazibwe Siima

wow!!! this one, I bow!

Derik Lamar

ReLoaded eeeh bulade

Bwesigye Bwa Mwesigire

This poem should win the PRIZE in my humble view/

Harriet Anena

Is Nyachiro on Facebook at all? I need to chat her up. This poem should win #BNPA2014.

Herbert Oketcho

thank you #NYACHIRO_LYDIA,

Kironde Timothy

now this is poetry, i love the simple language she uses to talk about something this deep. and the title; shocker!!

No comments:

Post a Comment